1. Find a rose and take it into your back yard (or anywhere out in nature).
2. Remove three petals from the rose. Each petal represents one of the following:
. The life of someone who had died or suffered in war, and the grief of their loved ones
. The suffering of all people and animals who have been affected by war
. A prayer for peace
3. Hold the petals in your hands and blow into them three times. Let the grief, the trauma, the horrifying images of war and the intention for healing flow through your breath into the petals.
4. While saying a prayer for peace and unity, bury the petals in the earth. The earth -– which has also been wounded by war -– is strong enough to hold that energy for us. The earth will turn the energy of our pain, our grief and our hope into “spiritual compost” for healing.
5. Place the remaining rose on top of the place where the petals are buried, and dedicate it to humanity’s hope for harmony. Sit in silent meditation for as long as you’re comfortable before departing.
AN ALTERNATIVE VERSION OF THIS CEREMONY:
Creating an Earth-Healing Despacho
1. Place a map of the world on the floor in front of you.
2. After blowing into the three rose petals, place them on top of the map, along with other natural elements that you've gathered,such as seeds, leaves, flowers, stones or herbs.
3. Place these items on the map,and arrange them around the areas of the world in most need of healing (Israel, Washington DC, Syria, Puerto Rico, etc).
4. Wrap the map and the elements into a sacred bundle, bless it with your prayers, and release it to the spiritual realm by burning it your fireplace or outdoor fire pit. You can also send the bundle down a river or bury it in the earth.
A SAMPLE CEREMONY
This ceremony was originally created for a Memorial Day event
to acknowledge the grief and suffering of affected by war and violence.
But it can be adapted for any purpose you wish.